Beyond The Mists
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beyond The Mists

A pagan place to relax and remove the stress of the day

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Herbal help

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
PhoenixFire83

PhoenixFire83

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-12-21

Herbal help Empty
PostSubject: Herbal help   Herbal help Icon_minitime23/12/2008, 07:27

For those of you experienced in growing herbs, I need your help and advice.

I have a rosemary tree/bush and its dying. This is the second time I have tried growing rosemary (common culinary) and the first time, the soil dried out. I had no idea you had to keep the soil completely moist.

I live in an apartment complex so I dont want to plant it in the ground (no telling who'll come and mess with it). I have it in a big big pot, I keep the soil moist (at least a cup or 2 of water a day) It gets plenty of sunlight and the temperature stays around 65* in the apartment. (trying to conserve energy)

The top and some of the sides are still green and lush, but the bottom and other areas have shriveled up and dried out.

Ive got a pretty green thumb and work wonders on dying plants, but Im baffled on this one......

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions or (plant) life saving concoctions I can brew would be greatly appreciated
Back to top Go down
Silver Tigress
Admin
Silver Tigress

Female
Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Herbal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Herbal help   Herbal help Icon_minitime23/12/2008, 15:22

Hope some of this helps you Becky???

I water all my herbs with tepid water, not cold.

The rosemary I have is in a large pot in the garden and I don't bring it in, it just survives whatever the weather. I only water it once a week, a drenching lol in the warm months, and don't water it at all in winter. However, I regularly snip the top of the stems off to encourage new growth. Have just been out to double-check, and yes, mine has shrivelled and dried out base parts which I just clip off occasionally.
Try watering it just every other day - perhaps she doesn't like a constant heat???

Love and Hugs
ST
xxx
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/beyondthemists/
Silver Tigress
Admin
Silver Tigress

Female
Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Herbal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Herbal help   Herbal help Icon_minitime26/12/2008, 15:37

I've been having a think lol, and perhaps it is just a change of soil type that is needed? A coupla years or so ago I re-potted all herbs in pots with a soil called veggie soil. There may be an equivalent in the USA???

Just a thought scratch

Happy New Year
ST
xxx
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/beyondthemists/
Sponsored content

Herbal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Herbal help   Herbal help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Herbal help
Page 1 of 1